It’s that time of year, when family and loved ones gather to enjoy warm beverages by the fire and to reminisce. But as the temperature drops outside, many of us nudge up the thermostat indoors. And while cozier, it can make humidity levels drop, too. Dry air draws moisture away from your skin. The result? Your skin can feel parched, even scaly or flaky, and painful conditions like eczema and psoriasis can get aggravated. Does this sound familiar to you?
“It’s critical to take extra care during the winter months,” notes Victoria Collotta, Vice President of Professional Services and Education at Silk Therapeutics. “Without replacing the moisture that is being drawn away, tiny cracks can develop at the barrier of the skin causing painful inflammation.”
To protect your body’s largest organ, read on for easy tips and suggestions to keep your skin smooth, hydrated and soft during these colder, drier months:
- Shower briefly and use lukewarm water. Hot water can aid in drawing moisture away from the skin.
- Gently pat yourself dry, leaving skin slightly damp for moisturizer application.
- Apply an emollient lotion like our Body Enrich to damp skin, to help lock in moisture.
- Use both a body and facial lotion daily for consistent hydration.
- To prevent a flaky complexion, consider boosting the performance of your facial moisturizer with a hydrating serum like Purely Radiant. Apply to a clean face, and then…
- Layer with any one of the facial moisturizers in our Nurture collection. The added boost in moisture will leave skin feeling dewy and refreshed.
What are your favorite winter skin tips? Have a great idea for an upcoming blog post? Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to follow us on social media @skincarebysilk to stay updated on our latest tips, tricks, and news.
P.S. For those needing advanced hydration… Stay tuned! In January we're launching one of our most luxe facial creams yet.