If you’re a health conscious consumer, you’ve most likely heard of “The Dirty Dozen” when it comes to fresh produce. These are the top twelve most chemically laden fruits and vegetables found in your local supermarket. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) recommends that you opt for the organic version if possible, to reduce your family’s exposure to potentially harmful pesticides.
The same goes for skincare. What you apply to your skin is absorbed into the bloodstream, so it’s important to be aware of the ingredients. If you’re resolved to start afresh and get a clean complexion (in every sense of the word), then read through the labels on all the products you use. If you find any with the following ingredients, we recommended switching them out for a healthier alternative.
1.DEA (Diethanolamine) & TEA (Triethanolamine) – Foam boosters that are easily absorbed by the skin and can accumulate in body organs.
2. Dioxin – Often found in antibacterial products and has been shown to have potentially serious risks such as reduced immunity, nervous system disorders, birth defects and miscarriages.
3. DMDM Hydantoin – A powerful preservative that can release formaldehyde.
4. Parabens (Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl)- Used as preservatives in deodorants and other skincare products found to be linked to hormone imbalances, cancer, and infertility.
5. Phthalates – Adverse health affects from phthalates can include liver and kidney damage, birth defects, and decreased sperm count.
6. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – Used in car washes, engine degreasers and 90% of personal care products that foam. These chemicals can cause eye damage, depression, labored breathing and skin irritation among other health issues.
7. Triclosan – A synthetic antibacterial ingredient registered by the EPA as a pesticide. Classified as a chlorophenal—this chemical is suspected of causing cancer.
8. Suncreen chemicals – Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, and Octisalate PABA are commonly used ingredients that are known free radical generators and believed to cause damage to DNA.
At Silk Therapeutics, we strive to create the cleanest skincare products on the market. Our customers and their ongoing health is a top priority for us. We fundamentally believe that highly efficient skincare and clean, non-toxic ingredients can work together in perfect harmony.