Good news: You don’t have to live under water to have hydrated skin.
It’s true that as the weather gets dry our skin can suffer, but these simple tips will help keep your skin looking and feeling fresh and moisturized:
Our Top 10 Tips for Hydrated Skin
1) If you’re tired of plain water, squeeze lemon or lime into your water bottle. Not only are you adding delicious flavor and a refreshing scent, but antioxidant-packed vitamin C that’s great for your skin. If you work in an office, bring a lemon to work once a week for convenience.
2) Alternate water with seltzer to help you meet your required daily intake (8-10 glasses of day on average.) As an added bonus, keeping your body hydrated will give you energy and improve digestion.
3) Enjoy a piece of fruit in place of your usual snack. Many fruits and berries (apples, blueberries, grapes, bananas, pears) contain 87%-92% water by weight. Added benefits: vitamins, minerals and fiber that are good for your overall health as well as your complexion (okay, we DO sound like your Mom.)
4) Alcohol dries out your skin. Instead of a glass of wine, try a spritzer. Our favorite recipe: ¾ glass grapefruit seltzer + ¼ glass pinot noir.
5) Reduce or eliminate caffeine: replace your morning coffee with an herbal tea. With flavors such as orange, ginger, mint, hibiscus and peach, there’s something for everyone.
6) Take warm or cool showers (not hot) to avoid stripping your skin of its natural oils.
7) Fill an inexpensive spray bottle with water and mist your face during the day. It will give you a quick energy burst as well as provide hydration.
8) Run a humidifier in your bedroom during the heating/cooling season. You can also place bowls of water in your room to add moisture to the air.
9) Keep track of the amount of water you drink. Writing it down will help you to reach your goal.
10) Add cucumbers or lettuce to your sandwich. These water-rich foods will help your skin to remain hydrated.
Feel good in the skin you’re in!
-Silk Therapeutics Blog Team